Expedition Africa: Lesotho 2022
DATES: 31 March – 10 April 2022
REGION: Lesotho – The Kingdom in the Sky
HEADQUARTERS: Hotel Resort Afriski
DISCIPLINES: Trek/Run, Mountain Bike, Kayak, Ropes, Navigation, Horses, Donkey
DISTANCE: 500 km
Expedition Africa is a full course, 500km self-support adventure race, returning to the breath-taking Kingdom of Lesotho, the original location of the famous Raid Gauloises in 1997. The Kingdom is nestled on the plateau of the Drakensberg over 3000m above sea level. It literally is the Kingdom in the Sky.
We are racing in a team of four, including Ron Eaglin and Brenda Carlson where the following rules and disciplines will apply:
- Adventure racing is a multi-discipline endurance sport where competitors compete in teams, navigating from control point to control point in several disciplines.
- Disciplines include horse riding, mountain biking, trekking, kayaking and orienteering.
- Teams are expected to navigate using a map and landmarks.
- Teams must be able to operate in harsh remote environments in all weather conditions.
- Teams travel throughout the night. They can decide if, when and whereto rest.
- The first team to complete the whole course, with all the control points visited will be declared the winner.
- Teams are required to complete the entire distance together (always within hearing and visual distance of each other), helping and assisting each other.
- Teamwork and team dynamics are essential. A detailed understanding of your teammates and of your own capabilities is essential.